Power electronics is a technology embraces the areas of power semiconductor devices, converter circuits, electrical machines, drives, advanced control techniques, computer-aided design and simulation, digital signal processors (DSPs), and field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs), as well as artificial intelligence (AI) techniques.
Some of the applications:
- dc and ac power supplies
- heating and lighting control
- electronic welding
- power line volt–ampere reactive (VAR) and harmonic compensators
- high-voltage dc (HVdc) systems
- flexible ac transmission systems (FACTs)
- Renewable energy systems such as Photovoltaic (PV) systems, Wind Power Systems, and high-efficiency energy systems, etc.
- bulk utility energy storage
- Industrial applications such as motor drives
- electric and hybrid vehicles
- industrial automation